Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 6, 2008 Fifteen Months and Counting

Well, it's always something. I wanted to make an appointment with my primary care provider to get a blood draw for my PSA and A1C. Should be a snap after six years with her. But nooooo.

My doctor, whom I loved, left the group and they just said it was her choice. But, they have two doctors there to replace her and ... Oh wait a minute, they don't take your insurance "administrator". Yes they take my insurance but not through that admin group. But I can just call BCBSIL Customer Service.

No, you can't switch. The BCBSIL offers two HMO plans. They are both the same coverage, the same co-pay, the same drugs. One is about sixty dollars a month less. So of course I chose the one cheaper. OH, I see said the blind man. The difference is that the cheaper one has fewer doctors. All on HMO Illinois did not sign up on BLUE Advantage. And the Administrative group the new doctors are on don't accept BLUE Advantage. So I cannot switch.

I searched the Internet and found my original doctor very near. When I called the office the receptionist said, "Sure, just come in." Not so fast Maria. I didn't see my insurance on the web site and need to verify that first. Well she can't do that. She will have the office manager call me back.

Two days later I get the call. They do take BCBSIL but not with Tri-country (sic) claim administrator group. They only work through Advocate. (same as the 'new' doctors at the old medical group) And I can't switch to Advocate. In the Fall during open enrollment, I could select HMO Illinois and select Advocate. Just pay the extra sixty dollars, if it is still just sixty dollars. Or who knows if the offer will be the same companies.

The hoops you have to jump through are worse that the illness and treatment. Hopefully the insurance and doctor selection will work out as well as the health issues.

I went to another doctor in the medical group I've been with and had the blood tests. It went well. The referral is done and I was all set for my visit to the urologist.

That visit was easy and without issues. The PSA is perfect. There is no sign of cancer from the prostate. I have no issues to speak of. I am totally continent and without urinary problems. Good enough that I don't need to follow-up for six months.

No comments: