Friday, April 30, 2010

Would I Do It Again?

It is hard to believe that three years have passed since my prostatectomy. I am still cancer free. I am less fit physically; but in better health. My Diabetes is under fantastic control with an A1C of 6. My LDL is 67 my HDL is 58 and Triglyceride is 75! PSA is .004 (negligible). BP is 120/70.

Additionally, I am enjoying my family and friends. My spirit is positive. The side effects I have are impossible for me to pin on a cause. It could be cardio meds, diabetes meds, BP meds, or surgery. I honestly don't know.

I do know that although I cannot do what I did eight years ago, before a heart attack, before diabetes, and before cancer, I can pretty well function as a man in his early sixties. I can't labor all day with the best of them, as I once did, but I can take care of myself and family.

My long bout with idiosyncratic constipation has finally ended. Without clinical proof, I believe it was started with very strong antibiotics and hydrocodone 7.50/750. It was finally ended with a month long course of pro-biotics. My intestinal flora are back in balance and moving.

There has been a lot of talk lately about the efficacy of screening for cancer of the prostate or other organs. I wonder who is behind the studies and analysis of old study data. Is it possible that they are funded by insurance companies? Are the doctors compensated now or have they ever been compensated by insurance companies? What are their political philosophies?

No comments: